On 05/26/2014 12:29 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 05/26/2014 08:18 AM, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
Dear List -

Will you please give me instructions how to install Thunderbird. I've tried multiple methods listed on the web to no avail. I am not satisfied with Icedove; eg, never have been able to start from the desktop icon, inability to prevent it from running in the background, which makes it impossible to read my email from webmail, since icedove is set to remove the mail from the server after it is downloaded.

Running Debian testing [Jessie] 64 bit system, and a POP3 email system.

TIA

Ethan

All you need to do is untar the package from Mozilla to some place that you have permissions to. Then run the thunderbird executable in the thunderbird-XX.X.X directory, which for me is currently 'thunderbird-24.5.0'.

Marc
Yes, I am replying to my own post. It just occurred to me that when you untar thunderbird it does not create a versioned directory. It just creates a 'thunderbird' directory. I renamed the directory with the version number so that I would not be overwriting the previous version (in case something went wrong and I wanted to revert). So, the path to the executable is:

/path-were-you-saved-the-tar-file/thunderbird/thunderbird

Marc