On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 5:13 AM, Wim Bertels <wim.bert...@khleuven.be> wrote:
> $ vlc some_dir_with_pictures
>
> doesnt work here:
> version:: VLC media player 2.0.8 Twoflower

I gave it /* at the end to have the shell expand the playlist,
although that's partly because I often want to be more specific
(and/or exclude subdirectories).

> the error:
> "main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `J440'. VLC
> probably does not support this sound or video format. Unfortunately
> there is no way for you to fix this."
> [although i noticed vlc does accept some picture formats (eg JPEG image data,
> EXIF standard 2.2)]
>
> $ file image.jpg:
> JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01
> was not accepted by vlc
>
> Which version of vlc are u using?

2.0.3, straight from Wheezy's repos. It's possibly that specific file
that you have there; maybe you can convert it to another format and
have VLC read it, or install another decoder plugin?

ChrisA