Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> > That will work.  It will also cause linux-image-amd64 to be removed.
>
> Why should that happen?

You are right.  That by itself won't.  I was wrong.  I had thought
(incorrectly) that

  apt-get install linux-image-amd64=3.2+46

would have a depends on "linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64 (= 3.2.57-3+deb7u1)"
as a hard equal depends but now that I look I see that it has a simple
depends without any version information attached to it.

  Depends: linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64

So in actuality linux-image-amd64 in Wheezy depends upon
linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64 which ensures that the Wheezy kernel of any
version is installed.  As long as the Wheezy kernel is installed then
it will receive security upgrades.  So all good and works great.

And that is separate from what actually gets booted due to the sort
ordering of the bootable kernels.  Unless someone takes care the
latest kernel would be the one booted.  So if you want to return to
the Wheezy kernel full time then I would remove the bpo kernel to
avoid any possible issue there.  (Not that the bpo kernel is a
problem.  The bpo kernel is great.  So is the Wheezy kernel.  Just
suggesting to remove it to ensure that the system boots the kernel you
want it to boot.)

Bob