On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 4:55 AM, Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Mon 09 Jun 2014 at 01:23:43 -0400, Teresa e Junior wrote:
>>>
>>> $ cat /etc/hostname
>>> localhost
>>
>> I wouldn't use this in /etc/hostname. Contacting this machine from
>> elsewhwere on the network could prove frustrating.
>
> The hostname in "/etc/hostname" isn't necessarily the hostname used to
> access a box remotely; although it makes sense for them to be the
> same.

It might not confuse software, but it'll certainly confuse the
wetware. I have one primary keyboard/screen/mouse, attached to the
computer named 'sikorsky', and then manage most of the network via SSH
from there. If I type "ssh yosemite", I expect the bash prompt to show
"rosuav@yosemite". :)

ChrisA