I believe it's got something to do with NetworkManager, because mpc started working as soon as I run:
$ sudo service network-manager stop

And then I run this, and while trying to connect, or later if connecting fails, mpc won't work again:
$ sudo service network-manager start

The version of NetworkManager installed is 0.9.4.0-10 on wheezy. I believe NM kind of advertises to the system if there is a connection available. As an example, if configured as such, Claws Mail will only check for emails based on information passed by NetworkManager.