Curt wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Just to plug a good tool I like using pwgen to generate truly random
> > passwords.  A long random password is sufficiently difficult to
> > exploit.  If you are using passwords that are easy to crack then they
> > should definitely be disabled.  Here is an example:
> >
> >   $ pwgen 16 1
> >   au6fiegieCh5shio

That ticket is mostly an argument over defaults.  But you are right
that the way I am using it and proposing it to others I should add the
-s option.

Instead of:

  $ pwgen 16 1
  shohReeg3ceidae7

That should at least have -s instead:

  $ pwgen -s 16 1
  pfqePLprEjMy9D3s

However at 16 characters or more even the default options still
provide quite a bit of entropy and would be hard to exploit.

The biggest problem I have found using random passwords is that some
sites truncate the password to a shorter number of characters.  Some
of those are fairly high profile sites!  http://www.schwab.com/ is a
good example that truncates passwords at eight characters.  There is
no defensible rationale for doing that truncation.  When I see that I
assume that means that they are storing the plaintext of the password
somewhere.  Otherwise if they were properly hashing the password why
would they feel the need to truncate it?

Bob