I tried an "apt-get dist-upgrade" of my jessie system yesterday, with bad
results.  It seems that debconf is bricked.  Currently, there are three packages
that are unpacked but not configured: tzdata, locales, and debconf.  (There were
originally two: tzdata and locales.  I tried reinstalling debconf in an attempt
to fix the problem, but that only bricked debconf too.  So now there are three.
Here's what I get when I attempt to configure debconf.  I get similar errors if
I attempt to configure either of the other two packages.

-----

root@smp6:~# dpkg --configure debconf
Setting up debconf (1.5.53) ...
Use of uninitialized value $ARGV[0] in string eq at /usr/share/debconf/frontend
line 17.
Use of uninitialized value $ARGV[0] in pattern match (m//) at
/usr/share/debconf/frontend line 24.
Use of uninitialized value $ARGV[0] in concatenation (.) or string at
/usr/share/debconf/frontend line 60.
Use of uninitialized value $ARGV[0] in pattern match (m//) at
/usr/share/debconf/frontend line 61.
Use of uninitialized value $ARGV[0] in pattern match (m//) at
/usr/share/debconf/frontend line 62.
Use of uninitialized value $ARGV[0] in pattern match (m//) at
/usr/share/debconf/frontend line 72.
Use of uninitialized value $r in <HANDLE> at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/ConfModule.pm line 72.
readline() on unopened filehandle at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/ConfModule.pm
line 72.
dpkg: error processing package debconf (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script was killed by signal
(Segmentation fault)
 debconf
root@smp6:~#

-----

How did this happen, what can I do to fix it, and how do I make sure that it
doesn't
happen again?  These errors are preventing the rest of the upgrade from going
through.
I can't go forward, and I can't back out.  Fortunately, the system still runs
(and
boots).

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell