On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 14:13:51 -0400
Kenneth Jacker <k...@be.cs.appstate.edu> wrote:

> But how long can they effectively be?  I.e., if I enter 100 chars
> into the 'passwd' command, how many are actually used?
>
> All 100? ... I kind of doubt it ...
>
> I want to use the longest password possible in "wheezy", but don't
> want to enter extra chars if, in fact, they are ignored.

That should be 256 or even more, and to be sure that all
characters are accounted, just: grep myusername /etc/shadow
to see if the hash has changed (but I really doubt Debian
would let you enter a p/w exceeding max length…)

--
Corsican Proverb: If you feel like working, then
                  sit and wait for it to pass!