KS wrote:
> I have read some stuff on pros and cons for /tmp on tmpfs. One case case
> be a powerloss (just a desktop without UPS) or kernel panic and I loose
> files that I might have on /tmp temporarily.

Isn't the default to purge /tmp on reboot normally anyway?

  man rcS

       TMPTIME
              On boot the files in /tmp will be deleted if their  modification
              time,  file status time and access time are all at least TMPTIME
              days ago.  A value of 0 means that files are removed  regardless
              of  age.   If  you  don't want the system to clean /tmp then set
              TMPTIME to a negative value (e.g., -1) or to the word infinite.

And I believe the default is 0.  I am not setting it and my /tmp is
always purged on reboot.  If you want more persistent storage then
saving the file in /var/tmp is better.  The contents there are
preserved across a reboot.

Since /tmp is purged on a reboot that isn't a negative for it being a
tmpfs which being in ram is also purged on reboot.

The usual problem with /tmp being a tmpfs is file system size.  When
it is real storage on disk you can do video editing of large files
there within the size of the file system.  But a tmpfs is usually much
smaller and not large enough for that.  The size problem was often
discussed here a year or so ago when tmpfs became popular for /tmp.

> Rather /var might be of more concern as stuff gets written to logs
> constantly and more frequently than /tmp (I suppose).

But maybe I am not understanding what you are suggesting.

Bob