On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.re...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 10 August 2014 18:53:58 Doug wrote:
>> Unless Debian is different from most
>> Linux distros, a good portion of the software is written by paid
>> developers. I don't know who pays them, but it is nevertheless true.
>
> I had understood that Debian is in this, as in many things, different from
> most Linux distros.  Things may get developed at e.g. GSOC, but none-the-less
> the developers are not in general paid for their Debian work.  (Though they
> may be e.g. Ubuntu developers as well.)
>
> Lisi

Not sure if you've kill-filed me at this point, but --

Most of the code in debian is from upstream. The debian team "just"
does a lot of what would be called in the paid world, "Quality
Control" and "Integration".

(Scare quotes on "just" because that's a huge load of work that gets
fed back upstream, benefiting the entire community.)

Most, well, more than half, of the upstream is done by paid developers
now -- IBM, RedHat, Microsoft, Oracle, Google, et. al., plus a horde
of small companies who owe their existence to free/libre and
open-source software.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.