On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway.com> wrote:

> I just thought I'd pass along something that I recently discovered.
> When using sysvinit as the init system, if the file /etc/rc.local
> exists and is executable, it will be invoked at the tail end of the
> boot process. But under systemd, this file is not executed during
> boot. Not by default anyway. Here is how I enabled it. (The
> following commands are executed as root.)
>
> cd /lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants
> ln -s ../rc-local.service rc-local.service
>
> Now shutdown and reboot. /etc/rc.local will get executed this time.
> If this is the "wrong" way to do it, or someone knows a better way,
> please let me know.

With v204, it's better to use "systemctl enable rc-local.service" or
to create a symlink in "/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/"
(the systemctl command does that).

With v208, there's a generator,
"/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-rc-local-generator", that
creates a symlink at boot in
"/run/systemd/generator/multi-user.target.wants/" so you don't need
the above.