On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:54:44 -0700
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > This was no help.  Only one suggestion was new to me: disabling fast
> startup in Windows.  I did that but see no difference.

That may have been inspired by something I originally posted, but
wouldn't be relevant here. The easily accessible Windows 8 shutdown
command does nothing of the sort, but goes into (I believe) standby to
RAM. It is necessary to dig into the Power entry in the charms to
actually turn off the power. Standby is OK when you know you will be
using the machine again within 24 hours or so and the battery is full.

The fast boot feature appears to be a dynamic initrd, which stores
pretty much the full OS state on disc at shutdown (having kept it in
a state of near-readiness at all times, otherwise the shutdown would
take forever) and allows a very fast boot. But this will only affect
what happens after the Windows boot code runs, and hence would not help
or hinder you here.

--
Joe