op 18-09-14 00:03, tom arnall schreef:
> I recently did a dist-upgrade and found afterwards that a lot of
> applications were missing:
>
> open office
> smplayer
> skype
> calibre
> poppler text utilities
>
> And about half a dozen more. And this was after only a few days use of
> the new system, i.e., i fear there may be other missing children.
>
> Is this normal?

No.

> Is there anything i can do to avoid the problem next time I do an upgrade?

Did you use repositories other then debian.org repositories for your
Debian version?

What programm did you use for the upgrade?  My advise: use apt-get.

Is this Debian stable?

While doing an upgrade, you will see a list with packages what are
upgraded or removed. Read it, and stop when you see strange things
happening.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl