On Thu 18 Sep 2014 at 17:04:02 +0100, J Rowan wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:53:21 +0100
> Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > For anyone intending to install Jessie, which is the only thing which
> > matters for Debian and the immediate future, the practical
> > alternatives and direction to take have been described many times
> > over the past few months. In fact, in the last few days:
> >

> > https://lists.debian.org/12092014224057.ff13b66f7...@desktop.copernicus.demon.co.uk
> >
> > https://lists.debian.org/17092014175756.ef88cea78...@desktop.copernicus.demon.co.uk
> >
> > You definitely need to
> > do:
> >   apt-get install
> > sysvinit-core
> > In addition you may also choose to
> > do: apt-get install
> > systemd-shim
> > if you decide your installation needs it.
> >

> Yes, this is understood, but is it the final word? We have a 'technology
> preview' of systemd in Wheezy, it will be the default in Jessie. Will
> it remain the default in the forseeable future or is it expected to
> become mandatory in a later release?

Memories; I'm singing along with Doris Day - Que Sera, Sera.

> I'm aware that nothing can possibly be set in stone yet, but the people
> responsible for systemd-shim and other compatibility components must
> have a fair idea whether these are intended as temporary workarounds
> until 'all' packages are compatible with systemd, or whether they are
> expected to remain permanent parts of Debian.

I'd guess that the systemd-shim developers don't see their package
as fulfilling the function you describe in your first option.

Jessie is all we have for the immediate future. We need to make it the
best release we are capable of producing.