On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 07:50:10PM +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:
> softwatt <softw...@gmx.com> wrote:

> This leads to a newish trend in systems administration, facilitated by
> widespread use of virtualisation or container techniques: never upgrade
> a system to a new release, just "spawn" a new and fresh installed one
> and copy your data/application/whatever over.
>
> Combined with tools like Puppet/Chef/Ansible this provides you with a
> reproducible and always "factory fresh" operating system without the
> cobwebs of years of past upgrades in the basement.
>
> But I digress.

Sven, please digress. Just what do you mean by "spawn"? I normally
reinstall the operating system on a refreshed HD with a Debian Installer
each time there is an upgrade. Then I copy over my custom directories
(such as /usr/local/share) and copy the configurations in /home/ and
/etc/. How does this differ from your "spawn"?

Haines