gpg-agent was already on the system, which I have also been able to reboot.

Unfortunately, gpg-agent didn't seem to solve the problem.  I used it
once successfully, but every other time I tried the transfer would
never start.  Also I had to use gpg2 to access the agent.

I noticed, even when I did not use the agent, I would not always get
prompts for sudo and/or gpg.  I expect the responses are cached for at
least a brief time.

I also tried
ross@markov:~$ mkfifo rendevous
ross@markov:~$ ssh kornak "cat markov/turtle.MiniSqueeze00.gpg" | gpg2
-d > rendevous
^Z
[1]+  Stopped                 ssh kornak "cat
markov/turtle.MiniSqueeze00.gpg" | gpg2 -d > rendevous
ross@markov:~$ bg
[1]+ ssh kornak "cat markov/turtle.MiniSqueeze00.gpg" | gpg2 -d > rendevous &
ross@markov:~$ sudo cmp rendevous /dev/turtle/Squeeze00
[sudo] password for ross:

but it just hung at that point.