Ken Heard <kensli...@teksavvy.com> writes:

> One of my boxes has a RAID1 using two Seagate SATA 3.0 1 tb hard drives.
>  I need to replace one of them, and I would like to use as a replacement
> a Samsung SATA 2.0 1 tb drive which already has on it data which I do
> not need to keep.
>
> My first question is: although both drives are the same size, can I get
> away with having one drive a Seagate 3.0 and the other Samsung 2.0?

That depends on your RAID controller.

> It occurred to me that if I made the change described in the first
> paragraph -- but without somehow making the data already on it
> unreadable -- there would be a different data set on each drive; so that
> the RAID1 software would not necessarily know which drive should be the
> data source to copy to the other drive.  It also occurred to me that the
> software could combine the data on each drive, so that both drives would
> have both data sets.

That depends on your RAID controller.  It's probably a very good idea to
"clean" the drive before plugging it in.  "Clean" the drive would mean
to use something like dd to overwrite the whole drive with zeroes.

> I consequently assume that the data on the replacement drive must
> somehow be made unreadable.  Is that assumption correct?  If so, do the
> data have to be "shredded", or is it sufficient simply either to
> "delete" them or simply reformat the drive?

To actually delete all data on a disk beyond all recoverability, you
basically have to melt down the drive.  Modern drives usually don't
allow you to format them.

> Finally, once I have a "clean" new drive installed, will the RAID1
> copying process partition the new drive the same way as the other drive
> and copy the files without further human intervention?

That depends on your RAID controller.  At least it should rebuild the
RAID once you told it to use the disk as a replacement for the old one.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.