On 09/22/2014 05:56 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2014 22:49:41 PaulNM wrote:

>>> Going purely by what you have written here:
>>>
>>> "It can copy locally to/from another host" etc.
>>>
>>> To ... one direction
>>> From ...  the other direction
>>>
>>> Bidirectional.
>>>
>>> Lisi
>>
>> Bidirectional copying, yes.  Not bidirectional syncing.
>>
>> Critical difference ... :)
>
> Ah!  Thanks.
>
> Lisi

Perhaps a better way to explain it for all present is that rsync can
copy/sync in either direction, but it's Master-Slave syncing.  Unison is
Peer-Peer.  Hence the need for conflict handling and other related stuff.

I've used Unison before, for an employer's remote office to sync project
files.  That was years ago though, I'm sure it's even better now.  Other
alternatives are Dropbox, SpiderOak, OwnCloud, and BTSync.  All have
benefits and downsides when compared to one another.  Some require
centralized "Master" storage that you may or may not control, others
don't.  Some are opensource, others not so much.  Some let you control
the encryption, so even they can't see your files.

To answer the OP, I use BTSync (Bittorrent Sync).  It's very
lightweight, supports multiple OS's and architectures, is pretty easy to
configure, and doesn't require a "master" server to upload to first. I
have it installed on my Linode server just so there's at least one
computer running it all the time, but that's optional. It also doesn't
require messing with firewalls to allow over the internet syncing. It
used the DHT network to let your clients find each other, but the actual
file transfers are direct and encrypted, without passing through other
systems.  It's not open source, though.

I've experimented with OwnCloud in the past. Since my Linode is on 24/7,
the master server requirement isn't as big of a deal.  It's not as
lightweight as BTSync, and the Android client isn't free.  That said
there are a bunch of other nice features like being able to log into the
server and preview/download/upload stuff.

It was several revisions ago, I believe OwnCloud has improved a fair bit
since then.

Questions for the OP:

Is the Desktop always on?  If so, it could be the master server.
Do you want to sync even if the laptops are not home, not just have
copies of the files on them?
Do you want the laptops to sync with each other if the desktop isn't around?

-PaulNM