On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 09:05:08AM +0100, Joe wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Oct 2014 09:52:51 +0300
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpope...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Lu, 06 oct 14, 21:26:33, Joe wrote:
> > >
> > > So your choice is between testing and unstable, Jessie and Sid. Sid
> > > is a rougher ride, more likely to have things broken at any time and
> > > without warning, but for the next (approximately) six months it is
> > > the only distribution which will receive new software. How new do
> > > you need?
> >
> > Actually, during the freeze the Release Team asks all Maintainers to
> > upload new stuff to experimental, to keep the path unstable ->
> > testing for RC bug fixing as much as possible.
> >

> Yes, I know there is a major upheaval in Sid after release, but I don't
> think I've ever noticed Sid being frozen...
>
> What does make sense is not to allow Sid to get too far ahead of the
> frozen testing, at least in terms of major system architecture. Testing
> must remain upgradable to the latest state of Sid without too many
> breakages, once the freeze is over.

I don't know about that, after all, the main raisin d'etre of Debian is
the stable release. Things are normally a bit erratic after a stable
release. It's a good idea to wait for things to cool down a bit. This is
the time when you either feel out of your depth running testing or Sid
or you cruise along riding the bumps and troughs knowing when to ease
off on the throttle and when to pour on the juice. We will soon find out
the ones who have grabbed the controls and just put it on full throttle
and hope for the best. :)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X