Linux-Fan <ma_sys...@web.de> writes:

> On 09/30/2014 01:40 AM, lee wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I think I figured it out: The USB stuff was actually going to sleep and
>> remained unresponsive once it fell asleep, until a reboot.  I used
>> powertop to disable the power management for USB and didn't have any
>> further issues since.
>>
>> It might be worthwhile to check just to make sure that your disks aren't
>> disconnected at some time because something goes to sleep ...
>
> After your recommendation of powertop I just used it on my mouse and
> keyboard and could reproduce almost exactly what you describe here:
> After a while of inactivity, the mouse would no longer respond to moving
> and I had to click a button in order for it to become active again. The
> keyboard behaved similar: After a short while, the background-light went
> off and I had to press a key to re-enable it. Interestingly, when
> pressing two keys very quickly, one of them was always lost, which is
> why I reverted the state of mouse and keyboard to "Bad" (as powertop
> calls it).

Interesting --- I couldn't revive the trackball at all.

> I have seen systems where none of my live systems would boot (even
> Memtest86+ sometimes failed to start). On these systems, the installed
> Windows started without (major) problems.

Oh my ...

> Today, there is also UEFI Secure Boot to consider (I have recently
> read about a normal laptop where it can not be disabled): I have not
> tried to make my live systems work on any UEFI system because I do not
> have a system available for testing.

UEFI sucks.  I hope I can sit it out by waiting until it's replaced with
something more reasonable.

>> Last time I looked into buying an USB stick, I found out that I'd be
>> better off buying an USB disk because the sticks were so expensive and
>> their capacity relatively low, so I bought an USB disk.  The USB disk
>> failed shortly after I got it ...
>
> It highly depends on what one needs: I use USB sticks solely for data
> transport where it is typically more important for the stick to be small
> and shock-resistant. So far, 8 GB have always been enough for my
> data-transports (mainly PDF documents, source code, etc.)

IIRC, I wanted at least 16GB ... Transporting data is much easier over
the network, though, and probably more reliable.  Just put the sources
on github, send the PDF by email or put it all on your web server.  When
there's someone at the other end, you can even call them and verify on
the phone that the data has arrived.

--
Hallowed are the Debians!