Hi.

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 19:17:46 +0200
Erwan David <er...@rail.eu.org> wrote:

> > So, if one is willing to do all it takes to remove said-pid1-process
> > from the typical server installation - it's doable. But from the
> > desktop one - it's much harder.
> >

> However I have server with special setting that today I handle with
> policy-rc.d
> I have not the slightest idea how I can have this setup with systemd nor
> any idea how to get any help for this.
>
> When I asked for doc, I was answered here "jusyt write it yourself"...

That's one of the reasons I'm thinking to postpone that-pid1-process
migration to jessie+1. I can understand the need of killing a useful
tool for the greater cause (being upstream), but the thing that I don't
understand is why kill the tool immediately if upstream wants it. And
no, that isn't up to the discussion. I have no intention to start yet
another that-pid1-process discussion thread.

> Other setting, some very small PC used as router/FW. on a testing
> machine, I see systemd memory foot print to be
> 177096 VSS , 5556 resident  3100 shared.
>
> Thats HUGE. 8 Mo just for the init system, once th system is booted ?
> I am not sure I will consider debian an alternative fore those PCs once
> Jessie is stable...

You haven't took into account journald, which uses /run (mounted
in-memory) to write its' own blobs. With the limit of 1/2 of available
physical memory by default.

> What can I do except express my problems, but then I see an army of
> zealots coming against me.
> for me in some cases systemd just made linux unusable. Sad, but true.

For instance, you can use the very same tools Debian provides you:
equivs, dpkg-divert and dpkg-buildpackage. There's little that cannot
be done with them if one needs to change some package behavior or
dependencies. Requires playing a maintainer, but produces meaningful
results in the end.

Reco