----- Original Message -----
> From: "Nate Bargmann" <n...@n0nb.us>
>
> I just went ahead and went back to sysvinit-core and in the process
> started purging packages in Aptitude!  At the end policykit, packagekit,
> rtkit, and systemd were excised and a whole host of other stuff I
> couldn't find a reason to keep.  Guess what, Thunar now gives me
> read/write permission when mounting my flash drive due to an old line in
> /etc/fstab.  However, it doesn't show up on the Xfce desktop.  :-(  I
> can live with that, however.

Could you share that line in /etc/fstab?

On my Jessie system, I've got USB mounting working with pcmanfm.  It required
some systemd stuff as well as policykit:

~$ aptitude search ~i | grep systemd
i A libpam-systemd                  - system and service manager - PAM module
id  libsystemd-daemon0              - systemd utility library (deprecated)
i A libsystemd0                     - systemd utility library
i A libsystemd0:i386                - systemd utility library
i A systemd                         - system and service manager
i   systemd-shim                    - shim for systemd

$ aptitude search ~i | grep policykit
i A policykit-1                     - framework for managing administrative poli
i A policykit-1-gnome               - GNOME authentication agent for PolicyKit-1

I am running sysvinit, not systemd-sysv (which is why systemd-shim is
installed).

-Rob