On 10/14/2014 10:52 AM, Jonathan Dowland <j...@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:48:38AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> Rejecting will actually *reduce* traffic, because it doesn't accept the
>> entire messages, it slams the door at the RCPT-TO stage.

> Rejection can happen after the DATA phase as well. It's better if spam can be
> identified and rejected before this phase, for the reasons you have
> identified;
> but it isn't always possible.

Well... a message can be rejected up to the END of the data phase - but,
yes, if you have a pre-queue content filer, you can certainly end up
rejecting something after receiving 99% of the data.

However, once a message has been accepted - ie, *after* the DATA phase
is complete, it should never be bounced, it should be delivered - or,
worse, quarantined, or worst case, deleted (ie, itf it is later found to
contain a malicious payload).

But I was speaking mainly toward the botnet junk that postscreen is so
good at rejecting now, and that is the vast majority...