also sprach The Wanderer <wande...@fastmail.fm> [2014-10-16 15:12 +0200]:
> The people who voted to make systemd the default init system
> presumably think that it already does meet Debian standards, at
> least to within acceptable tolerances.

I don't think this is the case. The CTTE's decision was IMHO based
largely on the trust that we, as Debian, could help systemd reach
our standards. There were/are very strong arguments for some of the
technology and innovations around systemd. The main
counter-arguments were IIRC the monolithic design, and the
unapproachable upstream team. The CTTE ruled that those could be
overcome and then the benefits would win.

> From my own perspective, I don't know about "Debian standards" in
> any detailed and specific way, but "shaping systemd" so that it
> meets *my* standards in that regard would involve changes which
> have been explicitly pre-rejected by upstream - and would quite
> possibly require either major re-architecting or even redesign,
> and maybe even dropping some of the features and/or functionality
> which it currently provides.

I hear your cries, and we could howl together if you want. And
I really wish systemd would exist in Debian experimental and
nowhere else for now.

But the reality is that progress is driven during the Debian release
cycle. And while this might mean that jessie will hurt a lot of
people, ultimately, it'll advance us.

You can just stay with wheezy for now. I will. There is hope!
https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/10/msg00001.html
And even if this GR doesn't get voted, or ultimately won't have much
of an effect, I am going to bet you a beer that jessie+1 will be
a massive improvement over jessie, especially wrt init systems, or
just systemd.

> > The benefits of Debian, its policy and this community still far
> > outweigh the problems imposed by systemd. And most alternatives also
> > (will have to) incorporate systemd, so the only thing you can argue
> > is that systemd is currently weighing down the quality of Linux in
> > general. But it's open-source and we can make it ours and better.
>
> Not without forking or reimplementing it, I'm pretty sure.

You know, Debian could just do that and it'd mean something to the
world. Before doing so, I agree it would be necessary to carefully
assess the existing forks first though.

However, I would be surprised if the possibility of a fork wasn't
part of the consideration of the CTTE when they made this (awefully
difficult) decision.

We are Free Software (or Open-Source, whatever), we try to avoid
duplicate work through the reuse of code. A lot of interesting work
is being done based on the systemd innovations. Believe me,
I *don't* like systemd and what it forces me to do, but it'd be
silly to forego all this derivative work by deciding to split from
the herd.

Instead, let's make our way to the front and lead the herd. This is
what Debian has done in the past, and what we should do again in the
future.

We haven't been able/motivated to do this with all the *Kit
software, while it was mostly optional. Systemd currently isn't
optional. I hate that. But maybe this is what's required for us to
assume the steering wheel again?

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> @martinkrafft
: :'  :  proud Debian developer

"man kann die menschen nur von ihren eigenen meinungen überzeugen."
                                                    -- charles tschopp