>> For business desktop use, I prefer onboard graphics for reliability.
> Also, most add-in cards require fans for cooling which gives you another
> point of failure while adding to the noise. Power requirements are higher
> when you want the graphics performance of the faster graphics cards.
>
> For server use, you can get FX boards and install a very cheap video card
> with low power requirements and no fan. That's actually also my current
> desktop configuration (uses an HD6450 card with large heatsink) as well.
> Not running games, I find it works nicely.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my query.  Although
the AMD processors are apparently not as fast as the Intel ones, I like
them.  You are encouraging me to get the Kaveri motherboard.  Figuring
these things out in isolation is not optimal.

I have also been taking a bit of interest in the chips being sold by
adapteva - the parallela set.   They seem to be designed to work in tandem
with an ARM processor of some kind unless I am mistaken.

Regards

Michael Fothergill