On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 07:15:38PM +0100, Ludovic Meyer wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 06:29:24PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> >  Hi.

> > > Why would the management of a external company care about what
> > > happen in Debian ?
> >
> > Because Debian is upstream for several critical RHEL parts, such as
> > shadow (passwd, useradd and friends).
>
> 1 ( ie shadow-utils ) is not "several".

Google is your friend. Sorry, could not resist.

> And by having a critical look at your affirmation, RH is paying a lot
> of upstreams contributors for several critical Debian part :
> - glibc

Not as of Wheezy. Wheezy uses eglibc.
And, while we're on topic of glibc - RedHat isn't writing new 'Modern'
libc to replace an old one. Yet.

Next few years we may see systemd-libc if things go as they're going
now.

> - gcc

A GNU project. Not a RedHat pet.

> - util-linux-ng

A kernel.org project. Not a RedHat pet again.

> - kernel

A joint project, controlled by Torvalds & co. RedHat is one of the few
who's playing a major role there, true. But that role was not enough to
push the most controversial features (kdbus, for example) into the
mainline.

> - udevd

Yup. You nailed that one if we consider latest udev development. It took
a merging into systemd to became that way.

Keep shooting, and you may score a couple of more hits ;)

> to name a few. I could name a few non critical stuff, from gnome, openjdk.

GNOME is can be considered to be controlled by RedHat indeed.
OpenJDK - please. Java is Oracle's turf, not a RedHat one. RedHat
invented their own Ceylon language just because of that fact.

> So I am not sure that your point is valid. Given the size of Redhat,
> I also suspect that having someone working on shadow-utils wouldn't be a
> problem. Judging by
> SEC fillings, public information, there is around 6900 people.
> 1 more coder is not a stretch at all.

No doubt this number includes a small army of corporate drones, janitors
and security guys.
Do you have any estimate on a number of real developers in Red Hat?

> > And, curiously enough, systemd's
> > goal is to replace those parts (see "Revisiting How We Put Together Linux
> > Systems" at http://0pointer.net/blog ).
> > Apparently, management doesn't like to be left out of control :)
>
> This is free software, there is no way to be left out of control.

For a fellow developer - sure, there's no way to be out of loop as long
as said developer plays by upstream rules.

> That's the whole point of the movement, provided you can code of course.
> A lot of people seems to totally forget that point.

But for a typical management drone - it seems we're both agree that
there's such a way. All it takes is inability to code.

So my point is simple. You mix a few really good developers and an army
of managers. That's a modern RedHat.

> > And of course, another distribution = testing a product for free.
>
> I wonder how, since Debian is lagging so much behind that even
> RHEL 7 is released with systemd.

By reading users' bug reports. RHEL has a limited choice of prebuilt
software, therefore a limited number of usecases.

Besides, RHEL7 is supported until 2024 (IIRC). There's plenty room for
small improvements.

> I wonder even why they
> still have jobs posting for QA people if all is needed is to have users of
> others distributions.

I haven't imply that offloading beta-testing to the community mutually
exclusive with internal testing :)

> > > People keep wanting the project to be free of corporate influence, but
> > > it seems that some wouldn't be against having a bit of corporate
> > > influence if the
> > > influence was in the way they want..

> > > Canonical was criticized for keeping their code for their ( mir, unity ),
> > > and Redhat would be criticized for not keeping the code only for them.
> >
> > No. RedHat is criticized for pushing their code to everyone and their
> > dog.
>
> People keep saying that, but none show no conclusive proof. Just stating
> it doesn't make it true. And it doesn't resist simple inquiry such as:
>
> "if they wanted to push it everywhere, why would it be non portable to
> BSD ?"

Because BSD 'market share' is irrelevant at RedHat's turf. See AT&T vs
BSDi case dated '92.
And, of course, writing a non-portable code is much easier than a
portable one ;)

> We go back to criticize everything that happen, that's getting old.
> And kinda poisonous, looking at the people leaving TC or Debian or
> maintainership.

People leaving Debian's TC is a sad thing to me too. But I don't read
debian-devel to have my own opinion for the reasons of leaving.
All I see that DD's that actively promoted systemd in the past are
leaving now. If I had the mood I'd even came up with some kind of crazy
conspiracy theory.

> > And it started way before systemd (dbus, hal and pulseaudio to
> > name a few). At least Canonical keeps their 'innovations' to themselves
> > last time.
>
> So you agree with me.
> If you share, you are criticized, if you don't, you are criticized.

They say they don't judge the winners. Last few years Canonical cannot
be considered to be one.

> > > I guess there is no good way for a company to make free software that
> > > change something in the core of existing ecosystem.
> >
> > Take a look at IBM, Oracle and Novell, you may reconsider your statement.
>
> I fail to see what did they tried to change in the core ecosystem exactly.

So, judging by your next points, you have no objections against IBM.

> Oracle is attacked by everyone for the stewardship leading to forks on mysql
> and openoffice, among others. They even alienated their own community on
> solaris.

And every time one's using rpm-based distribution one's using
Oracle-controlled BerkleyDB.
And Oracle's own Chris Mason single-handenly wrote btrfs, now a favorite
FreeDesktop toy.
And of course, there's libaio, written by Oracle guys long time ago.

> Novell was criticized for providing Mono, and providing software written in
> mono
> for gnome ( thus changing part of the core of Gnome ), and was criticized for
> trying to get Microsoft working on interoperability.

And, at the same time:

Novell was THE Xen's leading distribution back in the old day.
Novell was the company designed heartbeat.

Considering mono as a 'change in the core ecosystem' is to stretching
things a bit IMO :)

> So sure, not changing anything in the core is the right way to avoid some
> critics. Obviously,
> haters still find their way, even when they have the choice.

There's one thing that they fail to understand at RedHat - there's
absolutely no need for the change to be disruptive.

And haters - yes, haters gonna hate.

Reco