On 24/11/2014 21:02, Frédéric Marchal wrote:

The best thing to do when debugging that kind of problem is to have a look at
the content of /etc/init.d/fetchmail, find the actual fetchmail command started
by the script and run the command manually from the shell.

Don't forget to remove the option to run fetchmail as a daemon (I don't
remember its name but it's in the man page). You can add any option you need
such as -vv and see the output in the terminal.

Did the trick.  Logs show that fetchmail is
1. using opportunistic TLS on pop3, but
2. Sometimes times out after receiving a certificate, and then
3. Fetchmail declines to use TLS with the *next* user, but
4. gmx complains about not using ssl, and fails the authorisation.

That repeats at each poll. I wonder what might be causing the timeout? But shouldn't fetchmail tolerate communication hiccups, anyway? (Rhetorical Qs.)

I'll post the log showing the fail event(s) in case it helps, but I think I'd like to run either the latest fetchmail (from sourceforge), or the version from Debian Etch (which doesn't fail).

Here's a failing fetchmail log (anonymised). Fetchmail tries to collect mail for 2 users, user1 and user2. TLS fails during user1, and fetchmail then doesn't try TLS for user2 (and doesn't try TLS ever again for user2, though not shown here), but gmx complains every time about not using SSL.

fetchmail: awakened at Tue 25 Nov 2014 18:33:40 GMT
fetchmail: 6.3.21 querying pop.gmx.net (protocol POP3) at Tue 25 Nov 2014 18:33:40 GMT: poll started
fetchmail: Trying to connect to 212.227.17.169/110...connected.
fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP server ready H migmx123 0[…]
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Capability list follows
fetchmail: POP3< TOP
fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< STLS
fetchmail: POP3< USER
fetchmail: POP3< SASL PLAIN
fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION trinity
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> STLS
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Begin TLS negotiation
fetchmail: Certificate chain, from root to peer, starting at depth 2:
fetchmail: Issuer Organisation: Deutsche Telekom AG
fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: Deutsche Telekom Root CA 2
fetchmail: Subject CommonName: Deutsche Telekom Root CA 2
fetchmail: Certificate at depth 1:
fetchmail: Issuer Organisation: Deutsche Telekom AG
fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: Deutsche Telekom Root CA 2
fetchmail: Subject CommonName: TeleSec ServerPass DE-1
fetchmail: Server certificate:
fetchmail: Issuer Organisation: T-Systems International GmbH
fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: TeleSec ServerPass DE-1
fetchmail: Subject CommonName: pop.gmx.net
fetchmail: Subject Alternative Name: pop.gmx.net
fetchmail: Subject Alternative Name: pop.gmx.de
fetchmail: pop.gmx.net key fingerprint: 8A:B7:78:CF:0D:73:4E:EE:FF:EB:B8:C0:90:7D:46:56
fetchmail: timeout after 100 seconds.
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from [user1]@gmx....@pop.gmx.net
fetchmail: 6.3.21 querying pop.gmx.net (protocol POP3) at Tue 25 Nov 2014 18:35:37 GMT: poll completed
fetchmail: Merged UID list from pop.gmx.net: 0[…]= SEEN
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
fetchmail: 6.3.21 querying pop.gmx.net (protocol POP3) at Tue 25 Nov 2014 18:35:37 GMT: poll started
fetchmail: Trying to connect to 212.227.17.169/110...connected.
fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP server ready H migmx123 0[…]
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Capability list follows
fetchmail: POP3< TOP
fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< STLS
fetchmail: POP3< USER
fetchmail: POP3< SASL PLAIN
fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION trinity
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> STLS
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Begin TLS negotiation
fetchmail: pop.gmx.net: opportunistic upgrade to TLS failed, trying to continue.
fetchmail: POP3> USER [user2]@gmx.net
fetchmail: Repoll immediately on [user2]@gmx....@pop.gmx.net
fetchmail: Trying to connect to 212.227.17.169/110...connected.
fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP server ready H migmx123 0[…]
fetchmail: POP3> USER [user2]@gmx.net
fetchmail: POP3< +OK password required for user "[user2]@gmx.net"
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Fehler beim Abruf Ihrer GMX E-Mails. Ihre Verbindung ist nicht verschluesselt. Aktivieren Sie SSL in Ihrem Mailprogramm. Anleitungen: https://ssl.gmx.net fetchmail: Fehler beim Abruf Ihrer GMX E-Mails. Ihre Verbindung ist nicht verschluesselt. Aktivieren Sie SSL in Ihrem Mailprogramm. Anleitungen: https://ssl.gmx.net

Translation: Error retrieving your GMX email. Your connection is not encrypted. Enable SSL in your mail program. Instructions: https://ssl.gmx.net

fetchmail: Authorisation failure on [user2]@gmx....@pop.gmx.net (previously authorised)
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: 6.3.21 querying pop.gmx.net (protocol POP3) at Tue 25 Nov 2014 18:36:42 GMT: poll completed
fetchmail: Merged UID list from pop.gmx.net: 0[…]= SEEN
fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
fetchmail: Writing fetchids file.
fetchmail: sleeping at Tue 25 Nov 2014 18:36:42 GMT for 150 seconds

I've also saved a log showing the preceding (working) sequence where fetchmail successfully checks mailboxes for both users; I didn't post it, to save length, but can do if anyone wishes to see it.

I'm not sure what to do. In particular, I'm not sure whether I should try to debug this a little further, in case there's a config problem (though it's the same config as the Etch server, and fetchmail works for a while before tripping, and I have tried with various config tweaks before posting to the list) or in case there's an instability in this version which the maintainers should be told about. Delighted to have some advice on this.

I'd prefer to either (i) try the latest fetchmail (6.3.26) from sourceforge:

http://www.fetchmail.info/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fetchmail/files/branch_6.3/fetchmail-6.3.26.tar.xz/download?use_mirror=heanet&r=https%3A%2F%2Fsourceforge.net%2F&use_mirror=heanet

but it isn't signed and hasn't been checked by the Debian maintainers, and it's a .xz file with the sources and a bunch of directories and I've never compiled anything before, and I believe that Debian uses certain principles for various directories and things, and this may create a series of 'useful learning experiences' for me if I were to go that route. Happy to try it, actually, but the absence of integrity checking is my main concern, though.

or (2) I'd like to run the Etch version. Is that possible, and if so how might I get that version into the wheezy box? I have a set of Etch CDs but I haven't managed to get aptitude to use CDs. I guess apt could read them and maybe I could ask apt to install the specific older fetchmail version. I'm really asking whether that would be at all viable and whether it would be expected to create problems for Wheezy or the other apps on the box (Exim and Dovecot, in particular).

I'd be grateful for any opinions about how to move forward, including the issue of fetchmail's instability on this box which isn't fully determined at the moment.

Apologies for the length of the post,

regards, Ron