On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:14:40 +1300
Chris Bannister <cbannis...@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> Now, (I hope I'm not wrong on this.) It seems that the default GNOME
> installation required a graphics card with hardware acceleration. How
> stupid is that? It goes against the whole concept of a sensible
> default.

It isn't a default, the Gnome3 GUI will not work without hardware
acceleration. In the beginning, after an upgrade, there was a fallback
to a sort of Gnome2 display, but minus all the panels, icons etc. that
had been there before the upgrade. The long-term fallback is Xfce and
other lightweights.

> BTW, along the same lines, I'd expect the default *not* to suspend on
> lid-close simply because some models have "quirks" when coming out of
> suspend. It should be configurable by the admin whether heĀ¹ wants it
> that way.

Suspending or shutting down should never be a default. What if the new
program's default was to suspend or shut down after a couple of hours
without keyboard or mouse movement? Certainly a sensible enough default
for a desktop, but hardly optimal for a server. If a new program isn't
going to honour previous configurations, it *must* fail safe.

--
Joe