On 30 November 2014 at 23:49, Joel Roth <jo...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 06:09:38PM +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 30 November 2014 at 17:47, Joel Roth <jo...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> > I notice that /dev/sdb1, an ext4 partition on a USB drive has remounted
>> > read-only.
>> >
>> > I try
>> >
>> > umount /dev/sdb1
>> >
>> > then
>> >
>> > fsck /dev/sdb1
>> >
>> > fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
>> > e2fsck 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
>> > /dev/sdb1 is in use.
>> > e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

Do you still get that if you use:-
umount -vl /dev/sdb1
or:-
umount -vr /dev/sdb1

>> > Is there a way that a volume can be in use without being
>> > mounted?
>>
>> Yes. If you have disk errors (not data, disk). It'll be prominent in
>> your logs (if it's a SATA grep for ATA). For your sake I hope I'm
>> wrong or that it's just a loose connection.
>
> Nothing obvious in dmesg, which seems like the only relevant
> log with recent entries.
>
> syslog, kern.log, auth.log and debug show no changes since
> June.
>
>> You may find that the device had problems during boot, and the fsck is
>> 'trying' to fix them - but is unable to access the disk.
>
> For months, maybe longer, I've had irregularities with USB
> drives. When mounted for a long time, I will get errors.

It's a pain if nothing shows in the logs.
"udisks --monitor" or "udisks --monitor-detail" 'might' give you
something useful, as may "udevadm monitor --kernel --udev --property
--subsystem-match=usb
 (after enabling debug with "udevadm control --log-priority=debug")

> In this situation, I expect that if I unmount the drive, I
> should be able to run fsck, not have to reboot because some
> reference in the kernel/driver/fs code says the unmounted
> drive is still in use.

Agreed.
What did lsof and ps aux show? (any thing useful?)

You can try (as root) instead of rebooting:-
udisk --umount $slice

If that works - try enabling udev debugging:-
udevadm control --log-priority=debug
In one terminal session run:-
udisks --monitor
And in another run:-
udevadm monitor --kernel --udev --property --subsystem-match=usb

I'd dig through lsof and ps first to 'try' and narrow down to cause.

> Regards,
>
> Joel

<snipped>

Kind regards