Hi.

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 09:19:49PM -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 12/25/2014 11:23 AM, Reco wrote:
> >  Hi.

> >> It's possible to corrupt ANY program if you replace a .dll or .so with
> >> your own code.
> >
> > Indeed. But the program which can be tricked to use your own library
> > instead of a system one - is called vulnerable usually. I don't mean
> > LD_PRELOAD or LD_LIBRARY_PATH tricks but something akin to a braindead
> > Windows behavior (which looks for libraries in a current dir first).
> >
> > Reco
> >

> ANY program is vulnerable if care isn't taken to ensure a download
> contains the right files.  That's why there are checksums.

Ok, I can agree with that.

> So according to your definition, any program - including the kernel - is
> vulnerable to such an attack, and should be classified as such.  This is
> true for ANY operating system - not just Windows or Linux.

I disagree with you. All one needs to do is to put one single RPATH
entry into the compiled binary by mistake, and … then you have things
like #754278.
Putting a malicious library at known user-writable location is one
thing, loading a kernel module as a root (I presume that's what you've
meant with your kernel reference) is another thing.

Reco