On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 07:01, Tim Milstead wrote:
> Sorry if this question is a FAQ. I had an average look around and
> couldn't find anything specific. Advice on searching (yes I know how to
> use google) is just as welcome as a solution.
>
> I currently use Redhat for my desktops, but given their recent
> announcments and future shakey support I have decided to start looking
> for another distro.
>
> I have always liked apt and the standardness of debian so I am going to
> give it (another) try.
>
> Many of my machines require more recent packages than stable provides. I
> would also like the features in more recent software. This list includes:
>
> Latest non developer Gnome, KDE, XFree86, OpenOffice, etc
>
> I was wondering if the way to do this is to install a base debian 2.4
> kernell and then use apt (dselect?) to get testing releases and let apt
> fill in the dependencies.
>
> However I would rather use tasksel to achieve this but not sure the
> stable tasksel will choose testing packages?

Welcome to never having to do re-installs to upgrade!

1. Do a very minimal Woody install (console only, no GUI).
2. Immediately change the file /etc/apt/sources.list to point to
   "testing" instead of "stable".
3. To become "testing": # apt-get update && apt-get -u upgrade
4. Install a 2.4 kernel: # apt-cache search  kernel-image-2.4.22
   and choose the proper kernel for your CPU.
4. After you reboot, run tasksel.

Ron Johnson, Jr. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Jefferson, LA USA

"My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, you
will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher."
Socrates