On Friday, February 06, 2015 07:52:33 AM Lisi Reisz wrote:
> Arch Linux doesn't even have an installer.  You just do your own thing.
> That might suit you better.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide
>
> Lisi

Manjaro is arch based, and someone here suggested it, saying they liked it.

I had it installed for a couple days, but ran into so many brick walls in
trying to configure it, that with only a forum you have to register to
access, and I had no mail running to reply to the confirmation messages the
registration process needs, so I was working blind.  All the networking stuff
was moved around, and given what looked like bsd names. It took a day just
to get a static network working. Once I got it online, I went looking for a
mailing list, but they do not have one.  It is also a rolling release & I
did use pcLOS for 6 months or so, dead stable, but at thge expense of there
being so many missing dependencies when you wanted to build & install
something I needed that I gave up.  Texstar seems to think the world
revolves around email and web browsing & nothing else.  So I bailed & went
back to the older linuxcnc issued cd, based on the server edition of 10.04.4
LTS.  Web browsing is painful on that old a release, but everything else
works well except that kernel is a 32 bitter, no PAE, and spends as much
time in swap as anywhere else because it could only use a bit over 3Gb of
the 8Gb in ths machine

So I blew that away and tried to install wheezy 2 more times & disk speed
was about floppy speeds due to the sector miss-alignment that getting
anything done was frustrating at best.

So I went back to the newest, wheezy based linuxcnc hybrid.iso you can get
from linuxcnc.org and installed that.  The swap is miss-aligned but the mail
partition is not.  So now, even my web page, which is on this machine, is
back online.  Address in the sig.

Because I am reasonably familiar with it, I just finished recovering about
8Gb of old mailfile based emails and have most of my filters working right
now. In the process I converted about 7Gb of mailfiles to maildir format, so
there are not any maillfile folders on the system now.  And I did not use the
kmailcvt function to do it, I simply read the mailfiles from /var/mail as if
they were incoming mail.  Its about  100x faster than kmailcvt to boot.

Its been a struggle, but life is back to good now. All I should have to do
the next day or so are fix any crontab driven functions that might miss-fire,
the amanda backup program probably being on that list. So next I should sudo
-i, the cd into home/amanda and do a make install as root.

But that is failing due to an auth failure, seems the user amanda is not
properly setup in the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.  But they are
supposedly all matched up from the old install.
From the old install:

gene@coyote:/mnt/ltsslash/etc$ grep amanda passwd
amanda:x:1001:1002::/home/amanda:/bin/sh
gene@coyote:/mnt/ltsslash/etc$ grep amanda group
disk:x:6:amanda,gene
lp:x:7:amanda,gene
amanda:x:1002:gene

from the new install:

gene@coyote:/mnt/ltsslash/etc$ cd /etc
gene@coyote:/etc$ grep amanda passwd
amanda:x:1001:1002::/home/amanda:/bin/sh
gene@coyote:/etc$ grep amanda group
disk:x:6:amanda,gene
lp:x:7:amanda,gene
amanda:x:1002:gene

So that is identical to the old install.

But I get auth failures that were not ever a problem on the lucid installs:

root@coyote:/home/amanda# su amanda -c "amcheck Daily"
su: Authentication failure
(Ignored)
sh: 1: amcheck: not found

The latter I have to assume is because its not setting the $PATH correctly,
However it is the first entry in the $PATH now.

The freshly built amcheck is in /usr/local/sbin.

I could use some clues?

Thanks.
[...]
Cheers, Gene Heskett