I see that there has been a fair amount of talk on this mailing list
about system , Gnome 3 and some general dislike of Debian Jessie as a
result. So I thought I'd throw in my 2 p....

I recently upgraded my main laptop (a fancy new Dell XPS with more SSD
than I've ever had before) from Wheezy to Jessie, and I have to say:
Brilliant!

The upgrade took a while (almost exactly 1 hour) and there were a few
NEWS files presented to me, but no problems surfaced.  Things "just
worked".  It was a bit of an anticlimax, bordering on boring, followed
by a nervous reboot.  It took me longer to make sure I had working
backups and alternate boot media - just in case.

Even though I had opted to install the laptop with a single (big) BTRFS
file system, this didn't cause as much as a comment by the upgrade.  The
scripts just got on with their jobs without grumbling.  I was fearing
that GRUB might have a hiccup on this, as I realise this is not a
commonly-used set-up, and thus probably less tested.

I *did* end up with Gnome 3 - which I initially was a bit sceptical
about. I was a Gnome (2?) user with a preference for the "awesome"
window manager - this did not seem to be an option with Gnome 3.  But
with Gnome 3 and the Shellshape extension (could somebody package that?
Otherwise I might!) things are back as I like them. With eye candy to
boot.  This would probably not be suitable for my low-powered Atom
netbook, but I'm now confident enough to upgrade that too. Later. When I
get time.

I also ended up with systemd - which I was also somewhat sceptical
about.  But since I could not come up with any technically sound
arguments against it (partially caused by my ignorance of systemd), I
decided to take the leap - if nothing else, to be able to honestly
criticize it and actually know what I was talking about.

As far as I am concerned, the proof is in the pudding: It *works*,
dammit! :-)  I'm sure there are some rough edges somewhere - I just
haven't encountered them. And until I do, I have nothing to complain
about.

My system now boots in SECONDS. It nearly boots *too* quick. It seems
like the pause in Grub is taking longer than both the POST and Debian
boot!?  Booting is as quick as resuming from sleep!  I'm not used to
that!!

I'm sure that there is a *lot* of work going on for Debian Jessie that I
simply have not paid attention to - simply because it did not cause
problems.  Which is absolutely excellent - that's the way software
*should* be. Keep up the good work!

--
Karl E. Jørgensen