On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 07:01:19 PM BUCH wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to fire a bug report on Wheezy but I am not an experienced
> linux user, nor do I  know any of the procedures.
>
> The problem is related to my NIC card downgrading its connection to
> 100Mb/s when it is a Gigabit NIC and should be running at 1000Mb/s.
>
> The only solution that works is to reboot the machine
> entirely(restarting networking does not work, in fact SSH hangs;
> enforcing renegotiation via "ethtool" manually also does not work). If
> done so, it renegotiates to proper 1Gb/s mode. After a while it
> randomly goes back to 100Mb/s.
>
> Restarting the router does not solve anything(only the machine). The
> router is an "ASUS RT-N56U".
>
> As reported from "lshw":
>
> *-network
>                  product: AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet
>                  vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
>                  physical id: 0
>                  bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
>                  logical name: eth0
>                  version: 10
>                  serial: 90:2b:34:5e:19:5f
>                  size: 100Mbit/s
>                  capacity: 1Gbit/s
>                  width: 64 bits
>                  clock: 33MHz
>                  capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix bus_master
> cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd
> autonegotiation
>                  configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes
> driver=alx duplex=full firmware=alx ip=192.168.23.4 latency=0 link=yes
> multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
>                  resources: irq:43 memory:f7c00000-f7c3ffff
> ioport:e000(size=128)
>

> As reported from "ethtool -i eth0":
>
> driver: alx
> version:
> firmware-version: alx
> bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
> supports-statistics: no
> supports-test: no
> supports-eeprom-access: no
> supports-register-dump: yes
> supports-priv-flags: no
>

> As reported from "uname -a":
>
> Linux SupaMachinezxxL 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.65-1+deb7u1
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> Thanks for your time.

My best guess is that you have some duff cat5 plug installations.

Hint, you cannot strip it back and untwist it an inch away from the plug
just to get the colors on the right pins.  This cable is in fact a
transmission line, and every plug/socket is in fact a huge discontinuity,
causeing all sorts of data destroying VSWR (echo's) problems, and the
faster you go the quicker they will bite you in the billfold if not
physically correct.

All my stuff here at the Heskett Ranchette is 100 mbaud, and its fairly
sloppy, but at 100 mb you can get away with stuff that will not work at 10
feet in a gigabaud circuit.  For instance, I have a 100 foot hank of it
that goes from a switch about 5 feet away, thru a hole in the den floor,
thru about 15 1" holes in floor joists to get to the far corner of the
basement where it exits thru an old ma bell hole, is then stapled to the
alu siding to rise to the eves, across the back porch roof and to a black
tie wrap that clips it to a screw eye, thence about 40 feet to a shed
where my cnc mill and lathe live, hitting another screw eye at the peak of
that roof gable, then down over a small roof and then is smashed by going
into the shed via the hinge side of the door which has done a serious
crush on it for about 4", then to another hub, fanning out to 3 locations
in the shed, and another 80' piece runs back out and is strung across the
back yard to get to the garage where a 4th machine lives.  Those 2 pieces
of blue cat5 have been blowing in the wind for a decade now, including one
blow that clocked in at 112 mph on a neighbors weather station.  Only
asking it for 100 megabaud, it does that flawlessly after all that time.

I am a retired tv engineer, and when we upgraded all our stuff to gigabaud
at the tv station, we had to reinstall new plugs and change some wall
sockets, with much neater stuff to get it to work.  Cable was not a
problem, but sloppy plug installs and wall jacks wired like they were for
a POTS circuit all needed fixed/replaced.

If you have a really large multiple machine business net to make work,
there are devices for sale that will give you go/no-go testing for this,
but they aren't exactly pocket change to buy. The end result at the
station is that we now have dead dependable gigabaud as far as 175 feet
from the router & switch, and another isolated 10 GB net in the control
room and productions areas that goes perhaps 100 feet, and is dead
dependable.  We can move a 1 hour tv program in full hidef, from the
satellite capture server to the air server in a few seconds.

Those server machines, after burning up a 4 pack of Apples in under a
year, at nearly 6 grand each, are all now built in-house by our IT
manager, with each one capable of doing the same job it took 4 Apples to
do, but with a high failure rate in 2008.  These are rock solid.  But we
sure learned a lot about installing the plugs on a piece of cat5.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)