On Mon, 23 Feb 2015, Petter Adsen wrote:

> I hope someone can help me out a bit with this, I'm not an expert on
> filesystems.
>
> I want to set up a small (~300G) drive for online backups, taken with
> backintime from a nightly cron job. backintime uses rsync/hard links
> to take the backups, so there will be a lot of links. The source of
> the backup is mainly small files, and many of them don't change that
> frequently.
>
> What I'm wondering is this: what should I set blocksize, inode count
> and inode ratio etc to? Also, would ext4 be a good fs to choose, or
> are there better alternatives?

I'm not a filesystem expert either, but as it seems this is regarding
your personal desktop or server instead of a commercial server set up,
high performance is not all that critical.  So, I'd say: KISS.  Ext4 is
good enough. And better than most. Let it set the parameters.  Why
create problems by using a filesystem you're not familiar with?