Hi.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:55:04 -0500
Celejar <cele...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Atheros is a horrible company? I thought they were rather well
> > > regarded.
> >
> > Clearly you're lucky by not encountering anything that's using atl1c
> > kernel module. That card was the reason alone I use backported kernel
> > on my laptop, and it has some hiccups even then.
> >
> > And, back in the old days, stock Debian 2.6.18 suffered from the random
> > kernel panics then using atl1 kernel module. They fixed as far as I can
> > tell, but I have a good memory.
>
> Ah, okay - I know nothing about their wired products. I just know that
> their wireless hardware was, at least for a while, among the best
> supported under linux.

Hey, I have nothing against ath5k (or atk9k) too. Yet, every time
I have to deal with any ASUS motherboard and CentOS - it's a world of
neverending pain. As for the reasons unknown ASUS just loves to put
Atheros (atl1) or quirky Realteks (r8169) or ($DEITY forbid) Marvells
inside their products. And my employer likes ASUS.

> > > And I've used a number of Trendnet products, and they've
> > > worked well for me - cheap, but did the job.
> >
> > Trendnet's unmanaged 1Gb switches actually manage to process whopping
> > 200 Mbps maximum. Heck, maybe they buy counterfeit ones where I work,
> > but somehow I doubt it.
>
> I only know their consumer switch / AP / routers. I never did serious
> benchmarking on them, but they performed about as well as I expected.

Where I work the most common ones are either 1Gb unmanaged Trendnets
or 100Mb unmanaged Trendnets. If the weather is right, you can get 200
Mbps for, say, scp copying (ditto for NFS, Samba or plain FTP).

For comparison purposes, a Cisco unmanaged switch I have at home
easily tops 800Mbps.

Still we're considering ourselves lucky as it could be D-Links instead
of a network hardware :)

Reco