James wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade wheezy to testing.
> I am following the instructions at:
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/90389/how-to-upgrade-debian-stable-wheezy-to-testing-jessie

The first problem is that you are not using the official release
notes.  Start with the official release notes and follow the
directions there.

  https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/releasenotes

This is the particular step you are missing:

https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#upgrade-process

> Does anyone know why?

It is rather a pet peeve of mine, sorry, but reading random things
people write on the Internet is rather like listening to random drunk
people talk in a pub.  Sure some of them do actually say things that
make sense, especially if you have had a few yourself first.  But
often they don't too.  And so I always wonder why people go to
stackexchange.com for Debian information instead of going to
debian.org for Debian information.  This truly is a mystery to me.

In any case, to add my random voice to the random sounds of people on
the Internet I suggest you look at the non-official but very useful
redirector.  The .net indicates that it isn't an official Debian
project resource.  The .net namespace is where Debian Developers try
out new things and see how they do.  This one is gaining in use and
may become official one day.  In any case you are wanting to use
Testing already so this is a perfect match for you.

  http://http.debian.net/

Using the redirector your complete /etc/apt/sources.list file for
Debian Wheezy 7 would be this for anywhere in the world.  The
portability of these addresses make the redirector much easier to
document.

  deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian jessie main contrib non-free
  deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-updates main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-updates main contrib non-free
  deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file and replace the entire contents
with the above.  Then "apt-get update" to load the new sources.  If
you see any errors go find the errors and fix the typos.

I suggest never using "testing" but sticking with the release name
"jessie" in this case just as I have done above.  The normal lifecycle
of testing is that right now it is in freeze.  It is very good and
reliable right now.  But after release it will be unfrozen.  Then it
will become quite the wild ride again for a while as all of the
backlog of upgrades flow through it.  Best to stick with Jessie
through the first few months after the unfreeze.  Come back to Testing
after the main thrash has passed through if you want.

It also pains me to suggest adding contrib and non-free to the list.
But you already had it in your original list.  And as a practical
matter there are drivers and documentation there that are needed.

Don't forget the minimul system upgrade step first.  But also read the
rest of the document too.

https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#minimal-upgrade

Bob