On Saturday 21 March 2015 20:28:50 Bob Proulx wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
[...]
> > > It is in the /etc/apache2/envvars file.
> >
> > Ahh, lemme check. BRB.  Humm, its not in that file, so
> >
> > >   $ grep APACHE_RUN_DIR /etc/apache2/envvars
> > >   export APACHE_RUN_DIR=/var/run/apache2$SUFFIX
> >
> > Add this, restart.  Solves both problems.  Thank you, Bob.
>
> That file has a lot of stuff in it.  If you were missing that then you
> are probably missing a lot of that file.  I would be inclined to
> re-install apache2.2-common in order to get a clean copy of that
> file.  Normally there isn't any reason to need to modify it.  I will
> include a copy from Wheezy 7 at the end.
>
> Bob
>
> # envvars - default environment variables for apache2ctl
>
> # this won't be correct after changing uid
> unset HOME

Not present. I assume it has to do with the below missing stanza?

> # for supporting multiple apache2 instances
> if [ "${APACHE_CONFDIR##/etc/apache2-}" != "${APACHE_CONFDIR}" ] ;
> then SUFFIX="-${APACHE_CONFDIR##/etc/apache2-}"
> else
>       SUFFIX=
> fi

This above "if:fi" stanza is not present, but I'm only running one
startup.

I assume this is for serving two+ unrelated sites from one machine?

> # Since there is no sane way to get the parsed apache2 config in
> scripts, some # settings are defined via environment variables and
> then used in apache2ctl, # /etc/init.d/apache2,
> /etc/logrotate.d/apache2, etc.
> export APACHE_RUN_USER=www-data
> export APACHE_RUN_GROUP=www-data
> export APACHE_PID_FILE=/var/run/apache2$SUFFIX.pid
> export APACHE_RUN_DIR=/var/run/apache2$SUFFIX
> export APACHE_LOCK_DIR=/var/lock/apache2$SUFFIX

And this ^^^^ one was missing too. Added, effect unk ATM.
restart was as expected.

> # Only /var/log/apache2 is handled by /etc/logrotate.d/apache2.
> export APACHE_LOG_DIR=/var/log/apache2$SUFFIX

Present.

> ## The locale used by some modules like mod_dav
> export LANG=C

present.
> ## Uncomment the following line to use the system default locale
> instead: #. /etc/default/locale
>
> export LANG
present.

> ## The command to get the status for 'apache2ctl status'.
> ## Some packages providing 'www-browser' need '--dump' instead of
> '-dump'. #export APACHE_LYNX='www-browser -dump'
>
> ## If you need a higher file descriptor limit, uncomment and adjust
> the ## following line (default is 8192):
> #APACHE_ULIMIT_MAX_FILES='ulimit -n 65536'
>

> ## If you would like to pass arguments to the web server, add them
> below ## to the APACHE_ARGUMENTS environment.
> #export APACHE_ARGUMENTS=''

Unless someone else see's a problem, it looks like I am, as was said in
1960 while building Titan missiles in South Dakota, FAT, dumb & happy.

Now, sound, but that is another thread.  Thanks for your patience Bob.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)