Hi Mark,

* Mark Healey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [031107 18:32]:
> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:34:57 -0600, Kent West wrote:

<snip lotsa stuff>

> >I would suggest (modestly?) that you read "Kent's 10-Step Procedure to
> >Compiling a Debian Kernel", which is the bottom section of "README.gz"
> >in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package (you'll need to "apt-get install
> >kernel-package" to ge this document).
>
> I hope that was a cruel joke.

Or maybe Kent forgot you have no working nic...

However, this translates to "beg, borrow, buy or steal" a
kernel-package .deb file the same way that you managed to get the
kernel source onto your machine. You can then install it with dpkg -i.

> >It also seems to be online here:
>
> Appearantly it was.

Regardless, you should install this package and use it to help you
build a kernel that supports your nic.

> >http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200205/msg02951.html.
> >It may not answer your questions, but it covers the things that I saw as
> >issues.
>
> I'll give it a shot in the morning.

... gotta love timezones.

> This is more out of curiosity than anything else but is there a way to
> check what features are incorperated into a running kernel.

You can look at the config file. Any Debian packaged kernel will have
a copy of its config file installed at

/boot/config-`uname -r`

where `uname -r` is what is the output of the same command when
running the given kernel. eg for me:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ 2%  uname -r
2.6.0-test9-looxt93c1

So my kernels config file is

/boot/config-2.6.0-test9-looxt93c1

I guess for you it will be something like

/boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4

or

/boot/config-2.2.25-idepci

Sorry I'm sure you said what kernel you you were running in an earlier
email, but I don't remember now.

Best of luck,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test9-looxt93c1 i686 GNU/Linux