-----Original Message-----
From: Petter Adsen [mailto:pet...@synth.no]
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2015 5:15 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Book questions

This might be a little off-topic, as it is not Debian-specific, but I hope
those here with experience will bear with me.

I was rummaging through a bunch of books I was given when I did some work
for a book distributor, and found a few things that might be interesting.

For a long time I've been meaning to learn more about regular expressions,
and I found the following books: "Mastering Regular Expressions" and "Sed &
awk", both from O'Reilly. Does anyone have any experience with these, and an
opinion as to which I should start with?

I also found the K&R book, "The UNIX Programming Environment" by Kernighan
and Pike, and "UNIX Systems Programming for SVR4" from O'Reilly. Since I
want to learn C I know I need to read the first of these, but I was
wondering how the other two are, if anyone here has read them.

Also, are there other books I might want to supplement these with? I found
two Linux-specific books as well, but they are really old. One of them comes
with a CD of Slackware from 1996. :)

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Petter
If you really want to start at the beginning with C, the appropriate book
IMO is The C Programming Language, also by Kernighan and Richie, the
"inventors" thereof
Larry

--
"I'm ionized"