On Sun, Apr 12, 2015, at 23:52, Bret Busby wrote:
> What they told me, is that the problem was solved by removing the
> battery, for about 15 minutes, then reinstalling the battery, and that
> the cause is that sometimes, operating systems do not shutdown
> properly.

Looks like the usual firmware quality issues, here.  The problem is really
caused by halfbaked BIOS/UEFI/EC firmware, but the motherboard vendor will NOT
fix that and will blame the operating system instead.  Unless it is a server,
then they fix it really fast.

The workaround for this class of problems is to "brain-dead" the box: for
deskptop and servers, unplugging from main power for a few minutes should do
it, but for laptops you must remove the batteries and press the power button
several times (for long periods)... it is even a long-time documented procedure
on IBM and Lenovo Thinkpads.

For the record, the procedure for (modern) thinkpads is: remove battery packs
and AC power, press power button for 4-5s at least 10 times, then follow with a
long press (longer than 13s) at least once.

Sometimes it will also be necessary to remove the backup (RTC/CMOS) battery.
In that case you will likely have to leave the box unpowered (do not reconnect
any of the batteries or power) for several hours (try at least 12 hours) AFTER
you did the power-button dance above, to actually reset everything.

> According to them, the whole of the problem, was the failure of the
> last used operating system, to properly shutdown.

Depends how you look at it, I guess. In my book, when firmware _and_ hardware
fail to ensure a box power downs properly in the power-down path, and that it
resets everything properly from any invalid states in the power-up path, it is
a firmware and/or hardware defect (often a design shortcoming in the hardware
case), not an operating system defect.

  Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <h...@debian.org>