On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 18:10:11 -0400
"Thomas H. George" <li...@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 04:22:24PM +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 08:50:45 +0200
> > Petter Adsen <pet...@synth.no> wrote:

> > > Can you tell us what is in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
> > > ~/.xsession-errors?
> > >
> > > I can't tell you what might have happened, though, at least not
> > > without starting with the contents of those two files.
> > >
> > > Petter
> > >

> > You really should send your reply to the list, not to me
> > personally, so that more people can see it, and potentially help
> > you.
> >
> I agree and this reply is to the list.  I only replied directly to you
> because last week I received a sharp rebuke from an individual who had
> responded to one of my posts. He claimed it is very bad manners to
> post his responce - it was a very helpful one which I acknowledged -
> to the list when he had responded from his personal address.

I didn't mean to sound harsh, and I apologize if I did, I was in a
hurry, and just wanted to forward your message to the list so that more
people could see the message and potentially help you. Strictly
speaking, I shouldn't have done that, as it's considered quite impolite
to forward personal mail to a list, but since you didn't actually say
much except including the log files, I concluded that no harm would be
done.

> What is the protocol? In reponding should I hit r or L? Obviously a
> continuing string of discussion posted to the list should be
> advantageous to all.

When you are responding to something in a list thread, send your reply
to the list. That's considered "the right thing". It is generally
frowned upon to reply in private, although there are occasions where it
is appropriate to do so. In this case, you should probably have sent
your reply to the list instead of to me, partly because you want as
many people as possible to get a look at the logs to see if there is
anything wrong there.

Also, if you discuss something with someone off-list, you should always
get their consent to forward something they wrote to a list. I didn't
do that with your message, and for that I apologize.

Does that explain things to you?

Now, to your original question: I must admit I haven't had the time to
take a good look at your logs, although nothing jumped out at me. I
will take a closer look at them, hopefully someone else with more
experience can also do so.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"