On Friday 17 April 2015 06:19:31 Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 05:54:08 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 17 April 2015 02:33:59 Petter Adsen wrote:
[...]
> Is that long ago? Flash memory has come a long way in recent years.
>
> I'm running SSDs on my desktop, and them burning out is not something
> I'm all that concerned about. Mounting with relatime is probably a
> good idea, though.

At the time I set it up on a then elderly k6-iii box , 8+ years ago, it
was bleeding edge. I half expected to get cut. ;-)

> Recently I bought a new router, and I've been just itching to install
> DD-WRT on it, I made sure to check it was compatible before buying it.
> The default firmware isn't bad, I'm just concerned about security, and
> there are a few options I miss. Besides, it's running an ssh server on
> the internal interface, for which I can't get a password or key :(

Because you reset it from the defaults and forgot it?  If not, and it
came out of the box that way, either reflash it before it ever sees a
network connection, or turn it back as defective.

When flashing, change the password, and the admin account name if you
can, but in either event, paint it on it so you can always get back into
it if its in your home & secure.  And use 18+ char passwords, make the
blackhats work their butts raw to get into it.

Not to mention it quite likely has a NSA backdoor in it, separate from
the ssh. dd-wrt is clean AFAIK.

> Petter

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)