On 04/17/2015 07:08 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:08:15AM -0400, Jape Person wrote:
On 04/14/2015 03:59 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 08:42:45AM -0400, Jape Person wrote:
IIRC apt-listbugs or apt-listchanges (or both) don't work without the
deb-src entries in /etc/apt/sources.list.

Works fine for me. Did you *actually* try it?

It works fine for me, too -- now. But, as I've said elsewhere, I remember
that aptitude stopped being able to display changelogs when I removed the
deb-src lines from my sources.list. That was years ago, and someone on this
list (I think) told me to place the deb-src lines back in the sources.list
file. After that, everything was fine.

That's obviously a problem with aptitude, I don't use it as I find
apt-get and apt-cache do everything I need. I started using apt, but
there is no completion, I filed a bug, but haven't heard anything since.

Yes, aptitude seems certainly to have been the culprit in that case, though I haven't actually checked it's history in the BTS to be certain.

I just went through several installations using the Jessie RC2 netinst image and performed all of the manual software installations after the d-i had run using apt. I was testing the d-i. Apt worked really well for this purpose. First time I've ever used it.

My previous tests of the same d-i using aptitude for post-installation software installations did not produce final products that worked as well. So at least apt's defaults for package installations seem to work better for me than those for aptitude. (I tried installations using aptitude with and without automatic installation of recommends. Without actually worked better when I was careful to pick and choose among the recommends manually.)

Over the years I've always found that aptitude's TUI was useful in helping to sort out alternatives when there were dependency problems. But it looks as though it's no longer going to be my primary tool for package management. Maybe I'll use it as a fall-back tool only for trouble-shooting.

I shall now don the pointy hat and sit in the corner.

;-)

Ahh!, the Wizards hat, have extra desert for me, while you are at it! :)

Alas, the dessert days are over for me. Docs say only proteins, green leafy vegetables, and minimal carbs for me!

At least I know I can always count on the good folks around here to tell me if I've got something stuck between my teeth!

:-)

Best regards,
JP