Quoting Paul E Condon (pecon...@mesanetworks.net):
> I was trying to get sound working again. It last worked many wks ago,
> but I hardly ever use it. So I don't know when it became broken (again).
> Current problem is that aptitude feels that it needs to install a
> libuuid-perl in order to install
> linux-base (which somehow became uninstalled, or needs to be upgraded,
>          I can't tell which)
> but libuuid-perl needs a different kernel than I am currently running
> and aptitude advises not replacing the running kernel. And doesn't
> suggest any alternative.

I'm not sure I can understand what's going on from your report.
It might help to see the output from   apt-get upgrade.
(Best to do   apt-get update   first, but don't bother to post that.)

AFAIK it's unusual for an ordinary package like libuuid-perl to care
particularly what kernel it is running under.

> The system rebooted in its current condition, with the deaklock still
> there. (How can a linux system boot without a working version of
> linux-base?)

You will probably be surprised at how little is in that package. Try
dpkg -L linux-base

Cheers,
David.