On 4/19/15, David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> Quoting John Hasler (jhas...@newsguy.com):
>>
>> So do I [run browser with javascript disabled].
>> Lots of sites put up banners warning me that some "features"
>> may not operate properly without JS but generally those are exactly the
>> "features" that I specifically don't want.  A few other sites really
>> won't work usefully without JS.
>
> I've not done this (yet). Would I be right in assuming it's as simple
> as setting javascript.enabled to false in about:config (iceweasel)?
> What sorts of "features" might not work?
>
> With JS enabled (as it has been for me) and Flash available (at the
> moment I have to "Allow Now" on each page) there are odd sites that
> still will not work, eg https://www.capitalone.com/ where, if I
> try to login, it just says
> "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."
> in the place where the username/password would be typed.
> Any ideas on what I might have misconfigured or have missing?
> (I can only login with chromium; that's the only site I have
> visited with it.)
>
>> In that case I either go elsewhere or
>> temporarily enable JS for that site only.

Saw the other responses so chiming in. https://www.capitalone.com/
works for me here, too. Chromium and Opera. Thought for a second it
might just sit and spin, but both suddenly loaded well and
simultaneously. That's a micro-miracle on dialup. Banking type
websites often take forever by themselves, let alone two instances
successfully loading at the same time WHILE I'm ALSO performing yet
other surfing. For the time being, I've (to date safely) allowed
javascript to run on both browsers.

To verify that before stating it, I just researched Opera's settings.
Am currently unfamiliar with them because I JUST installed it couple
days ago after a few years away from it. Opera took me to a specific
preference feature for this:

opera:config#Browser%20JavaScript

I'm seeing a reference there about loading/not loading user javascript
preferences. If you've been playing around with javascript *anywhere*
out of safety concerns, maybe Capital One and similar not loading
correctly could be directly or indirectly affected by that?

With this many others of us not having any problems on multiple
various browsers, I wonder what (other) secondary things might be
interfering. I've run into website fail instances before where it was
about cookies I'd block that I didn't know were necessary for that
website's functioning. And it SEEMS LIKE there was one other fix that
unfortunately escapes my mind this sec....

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape(d sewing machine) *