Hi,

as the manpage of apt-get tells:

[...]
upgrade
           upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages
currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
           /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new
versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are
currently
           installed packages removed, or packages not already installed
retrieved and installed. **New versions of currently installed packages
that cannot be
           upgraded without changing the install status of another package
will be left at their current version.** An update must be performed first
so that
           apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
           dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of
packages;
           apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will
attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less
important ones
           if necessary. The dist-upgrade command may therefore remove some
packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of locations from
which
           to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5)
for a mechanism for overriding the general settings for individual packages.
[...]

I have marked the - in my opinion - important and interesting sentence
inside the "upgrade" part with two stars, which should be applying here. I
hope this helps.

Best regards,
Patrick