On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 11:19:36AM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I just updated and upgraded a 'testing' system (so listed in
> sources.list) and aptitude shows no installed packages. Here's a
> typical aptitude entry:
>
> i A apache2 2.4.10-9 <none>
>
> and another:
>
> ih perl 5.20.1-5 <none>
>
> (The 'h' because I put it on hold when I saw it was among many
> potentially broken packages.)
>
> As you see, 'i' indicates that the packages _are_ installed, but it's
> the '<none>' which concerns me, because on its entry page, aptitude
> lists NO installed packages. If I reboot, I suspect everything's going
> to disappear.
>
> Is there any way to recover, without rebooting, from this potential disaster?

Relax. "<none>" doesn't mean that the package has been removed. As you
say yourself, the "i" means that the package is installed and there is
no intention to remove it. What the "<none>" DOES mean is that there is
no candidate to install this package. This is basically what you see if
you "dpkg -i" a deb - the package becomes installed, but there's no
origin for that package so apt can't check if it needs updating etc.

Now, if ALL your packages have ended up like this, then it probably just
means an issue with either your repository server or your package lists.
Try re-updating the lists (in aptitude, press 'u') and keep an eye out
for any errors (red lines or red dialog boxes in aptitude).