  convert -resize 25% "$1" "$1"_small
else
    echo "All pictures"
    for fullfile in *.[Jj][Pp][Gg]; do
        echo "Making thumbnail"

        filename=$(basename "$fullfile")
        extension="${filename##*.}"
        filename="${filename%.*}"

        convert -resize 25% "$fullfile" "$filename"_small.$extension
    done
fi

On 04/28/2015 04:31 PM, Tim Kelley wrote:
You could use convert to degrade the quality rather than size, so the page won't be moving about when loading.

Tim Kelley

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Siard <shiems...@kpnplanet.nl <mailto:shiems...@kpnplanet.nl>> wrote:

    Steve Greig wrote:
    > I have about 60 large jpg files in a directory. They are almost all
    > over 2MB in size. I want to put them on the internet but wanted to
    > make a thumbnail version and a small version (about 75KB) of
    each one
    > so the web page does not take too long to load. Normally I just open
    > them in GIMP and modify them and save the smaller versions. Because
    > there are 60 this is going to take quite a lot of time.
    >
    > Is there a utility available for Debian that could do them all.

    You could install package gimp-plugin-registry.
    Among many other things, it adds batch processing to GIMP.
    Access it via Filters > Batch > Batch Process...
    Under tab 'Resize' you can enter either scale factor or absolute size.