On Monday 18 May 2015 16:37:32 Peter van Summeren wrote:
> Hello,I would like to type Chinese in Debian Jessie, Cinnamon, for
> LibreOffice, TexShop, for my lessons Chinese.In windows, MacOS, I can point
> to an icon, a window pops up, I can choose "pinyin".After that: when I type
> "shi", a window pops up with all the possibilities to choose from. How can
> I arrange that in my type of Debian?Is there a script? Because, when I read
> all the web sites about this subject,  I get lost. It is exhaustive, but
> too difficult.Please help me with specific and automatic what-to-do.Peter

You need SCIM.
https://packages.debian.org/stable/scim
With SCIM pinyin
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/scim-pinyin
and you till need a suitable font installed.

SCIM works very well for Japanese and makes changing languages/scripts very
easy.  I haven't tried it for Chinese, but at least Chinese has fewer
scripts!

Lisi